How BOOP Ingredients Make Gluten and Dairy-Free Cookies Fun (and Delicious!) - BOOP Bakery
When thinking about sweet treats, what typically comes to mind? Do you envision sugary cakes loaded with icing? Or perhaps fudgy brownies and chocolate truffles are what you think about. We too love these delicious desserts, but at the end of the day, cookies still take the cake.
Oatmeal, chocolate chip, snickerdoodle — we love ‘em all. From the first bite to the last, cookies are undoubtedly divine. What we don’t love so much, however, is all the questionable ingredients that are typically baked into them.
Of course, one of these traditional cookies here and there isn’t going to ruin your health, but if you’re one of the millions of Americans with a gluten or dairy intolerance, you may want to consider other options — such as a BOOP cookie!
What Ingredients Should You Watch for in Traditional Cookies?
Before we dive into all things BOOP, let’s first chat a bit about the ingredients commonly found in traditional cookies — such as gluten and dairy.
Gluten is a combo of the natural proteins found in wheat, rye, barley, and other grains. When used in baked goods, gluten provides the structure and chewiness you know and (probably) love. Without it, cookies, cakes, and other sweet treats won’t hold their shape — hence why wheat flour is often used in baking.
Dairy, on the other hand, refers to any food made from the milk products of animals (think: cows) and brings taste, texture, and color to many baked goods.
Together, gluten and dairy are commonly used to make cookies chewy, soft, and tasty. Sounds pretty harmless, right? Well, we hate to be the bearers of bad news — but about 6% of the U.S. population is gluten intolerant, while nearly 70% of the global population has a reduced ability to digest lactose.
In other words, there are a wholelot of people who can’t eat traditional cookies because they are commonly made with gluten and dairy.
Not to fear, BOOP is here — the gluten and dairy-free cookie that actually tastes good. But gluten and dairy aren’t the only two ingredients we’ve nixed from our wholesome recipe. In addition to gluten and dairy, you won’t find these health sabotagers in our cookies, either:
- GMOs (aka genetically modified organisms) provide no benefits to eating them and are believed to negatively affect human health. We’ll pass!
- High fructose corn syrup has been linked to insulin resistance, high blood pressure, increased appetite, and many other risks to overall health and wellness.
- Refined sugars are responsible for a wide array of health problems and provide no benefit to the body. We opt for delicious dates rather than refined sugar in our cookies.
- Refined flour doesn’t have any nutritional value, but does have plenty of calories! We tossed aside regular ol’ flour to make room for wholesome rolled oats instead.
- Carrageenan acts as a thickener, emulsifier, and preservative in many different baked goods, but since some evidence links it to GI issues, we prefer to stay far away from the stuff.
- Artificial colors and food dyes can cause everything from allergic reactions to hyperactivity. So, we nixed them.
- Artificial flavors are addictive, chemically produced in a lab, and lack any sort of nutritional benefit. Our cookies are so tasty, you won’t miss the artificial stuff.
- MSG (aka monosodium glutamate) is a common additive used to enhance flavor in savory dishes, but can also sometimes be found in desserts. MSG is generally regarded as safe, but there’s quite a bit of concerning research out there suggesting that it can be harmful and unhealthy. BOOP cookies are delicious without the MSG. No flavor enhancers needed!
- Soy contains estrogen-like chemicals that could have adverse effects.
- Trans fats are considered the worst type of fat you can eat, as they raise “bad” cholesterol while lowering “good” cholesterol. Instead, we opt for healthy fats from flax seeds and chia seeds.
In short, cookies are awesome. The ingredients commonly found in them, though — not so much. That’s why we’ve spent a whole lot of time in the kitchen cultivating the one and only BOOP cookie. This tasty treat is a thoughtfully elevated version of the iconic oatmeal raisin cookie — minus all the bad stuff!
How Is BOOP Different?
Now that you’re in the loop with what questionable ingredients you won’t find in a BOOP, let’s go over all the deliciously wonderful ingredients that you will find in a BOOP, shall we? Every batch of soft-baked cookies is made with love and only wholesome ingredients, such as:
- Dates from California. Who says you need refined sugar and artificial sweeteners to make a sweet treat, well… sweet? Definitely not us! Here at BOOP Bakery, we use Mother Nature’s “candy,” like California-grown dates, to naturally sweeten our cookies.
- Currants. To balance out the sweetness, we bake fresh currants into our cookies for a perfect hint of tartness. The result? Cookies that aren’t overpowered by sweetness! Instead, your teeth will sink into a mouth-watering cookie that’s bursting with flavor.
- Whole grain rolled oats. Did you know that oats are among the healthiest grains on the planet? They’re also a gluten-free grain, as well as an excellent source of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber. Needless to say, whole-grain rolled oats are pretty healthy, which is exactly why we use them to make our wholesome BOOP cookies!
- Organic chia seeds. Rich in minerals, omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, and fiber, chia seeds are chock-full of wonderful health benefits. Plus, these itty-bitty seeds can absorb high amounts of water to form a gel, which acts like a binder to help cookies hold their shape, making them an awesome alternative to gluten.
- Organic flax seeds. Since butter is made from milk, it’s considered a dairy product which is exactly why we don’t use it here at BOOP Bakery. Instead, we rely on flax seeds for fat because of their high oil content. Not to mention all the incredible health benefits flax seeds have to offer, it’s easy to see why we use them in our cookies!
- Oat bran. To craft our iconic BOOP cookie taste, we incorporate oat bran into our recipe. This gluten-free ingredient adds a tasty, soft texture while also boosting the vitamin and mineral content.
- Safflower oil. A heart-healthy oil that’s especially high in poly- and monounsaturated fats, as well as vitamin E, safflower oil has a neutral flavor profile, so it won’t outshine the tastier ingredients we’ve baked into each and every BOOP.
- Monk fruit. Containing zero calories, zero carbs, zero sodium, and zero fat, it’s no wonder why monk fruit is all the rage these days. For a little extra sweetness, we balance our BOOP cookies with a touch of this natural sweetener.
As you can see, our BOOP cookies are not only gluten and dairy-free, but also nourishing. So whether you have a gluten or dairy intolerance, can’t consume soy, need to stay away from wheat, or are simply on the hunt for fun and healthy cookie options, you can rest easy knowing that BOOP Bakery has your back!
The Final BOOP
So, how does BOOP Bakery make a gluten and dairy-free cookie fun and taste good, you ask? Simple — we use only the best of the best ingredients. Unlike traditional cookies and other baked goods, we rely on wholesome ingredients like dates from California, whole grain rolled oats, organic chia seeds, and organic flax seeds to make a sweet treat that’s second to none.
In each bite, you’ll find pure, wholesome goodness — and nothing less.
Ready to experience the BOOP difference? Check us out today to sink your teeth into a perfectly soft and deliciously chewy cookie tomorrow.
BOOP Bakery™ believes cookies are better off enjoyed than locked away in a cookie jar. BOOP created a line of craveable, soft-baked cookies that allow health-conscious consumers and cookie connoisseurs alike to indulge without the guilt that comes with most processed sweets and treats. BOOP set out to bake delicious, wholesome, craveable cookies everyone can freely enjoy any time of day, whenever, wherever, whyever, proving no moment is too small for a BOOP!